- Established in 1903 in a bavarian beach town in China—Tsingtao is a longstanding brewer with a rich brand heritage. Recognised internationally, Tsingtao is a favourite amongst lager-lovers standing boldly amongst the likes of Heineken, Tiger and Peroni.
- Working with Tsingtao between 2013-2016 on a series of local integrated campaigns, UMM had a proven history of executing successful campaigns in partnership with the brand.
- A brewery that prides itself on breaking traditions, with ever-evolving drinking experiences a key part of the brand’s DNA, Tsingtao was on the hunt for a creative agency to undertake its 2022 global branding and advertising project.
- After a five-year hiatus, Tsingtao invited UMM to pitch for its 2022 Global Campaign Key Visual branding project. The brief was to conceptualise, develop and roll out the Key Visual, including an overarching slogan that embodies and builds upon Tsingtao’s core brand personality.
- From bus wraps and billboards to digital ads and social media posts—the campaign was to be activated across key territories and platforms globally, needing to traverse cultures while simultaneously engaging the core target audience of M+F aged 21-35 yrs.
- Partnering with design thinking coach Mick Thorp of Friend_Thorp, UMM broke out of its core offering and put together a compelling proposal to win the gig from an international multi-agency pitch!
- UMM conducted a competitor audit of Tsingtao’s competitors in the global premium export beer category, developing a well-rounded understanding of the brandscape in which they operate. We compared visual and campaign slogan themes, collecting global insights into audience and consumer behaviour, as well as retailer trends pre and post-pandemic. This was undertaken to determine white space opportunities for creative territories to be developed.
- After an extensive competitor analysis, we presented Tsingtao with a selection of unique and ownable slogans alongside visual directions, handshaking on the final campaign slogan, “Nice To Have Around”.
- Nice To Have Around: Tsingtao is like your favourite social circle, your best friend or members of your close-knit family. Dependable, unique and always there. They make you feel good. They’re nice to have around. Like your nearest and dearest and your like-minded comrades, Tsingtao fits in perfectly. It’s all for breaking tradition, to lead rather than to follow and being a vital member of the group.
- From here, we developed and distilled a verbal and visual language for the project. We also established a typographic language that reflected the brand’s core identity and spoke to our campaign ethos.
WHAT DID WE DO
- Conceptualisation, development and finished artwork of Key Creative (talent + non-talent versions) incl. slogan development, photography + visual language.
- Roll-out across on and offline touchpoints, including social, out-of-home (billboards, bus wraps), pull-up banners, refrigerator wraps, bar mats, pennant strings, price tags, POSM + promo T-shirts.
- Photography – lifestyle + product photoshoots. Art Direction, production, talent scouting/management, wardrobe, H&M and retouching.
- An on and off-line campaign to be rolled out in key territories across Europe, America, Oceania, Asia and Africa.
“It was important to the brand that the core of the campaign embodied the Tsingtao DNA of fun and celebrating the moment, with a social persona best shared with friends”
“We were able to collaborate in a creative, strategic and efficient manner with the UMM team and are excited for the rollout in key markets and channels across the Asia Pacific, Europe and US.”
Jessie Xiao, Head of Marketing at Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd, China
Brand: Tsingtao Brewery Co. Ltd
Head of Marketing: Jessie Xiao
Creative Agency: UMM
Creative Partner: Friend Thorp
Joint MD: Benoit Thorp
Joint MD: Nikki Stevens
Executive Creative Director: Mick Thorp
Senior Art Director: Insiya Sarkar
Graphic Designer: Leah Spadone
Junior Graphic Designer: Max Moore
Photography: Benito Martin, Sam I Am
Food and Prop Stylist: Jerrie-Joy
Product Photography: Andre Martin Photography
Retoucher Product Photography: Wendy Louise
Talent Agency: WINK Models
AS FEATURED IN
Mumbrella, B&T Australia, AdNews Australia, ticker NEWS, Campaign Brief, Campaign Brief Asia, The Shout, the Current and Roastbrief.
In the market for a creative comms solution? You’re in the right place. Click here to get in touch with our team.